What are the causes of numbness in the foot after childbirth?
Many women experience numbness or tingling in the limbs during pregnancy, as a result of increased fluid flow to the compressed nerves, in addition to several other common reasons, but what about the causes of numbness in the feet after childbirth? Let’s find out together the causes and treatment.
Causes numbness in the foot during pregnancy
include Causes numbness in the feet of a pregnant woman the following:
- Increase in blood fluids: During pregnancy, the volume of the blood increases by about a third, and as a result of the increase in these fluids in the blood circulation, swelling may appear in the hands and feet in addition to swelling in the face. .
- In the third trimester, this extra fluid can start to put pressure on the wrists and ankles, causing compression of the nerves and resulting in a stroke. Numbness in hands and feetEspecially when maintaining a certain position, whether standing, sitting or even lying down.
- Sciatica: The sciatic nerve runs from the lower back to the feet, and during pregnancy, the weight of the uterus can put pressure on this nerve and cause some discomfort, in addition to numbness. (1)
For more: what are the causes of numbness in the limbs?
Causes numbness in the feet after childbirth
Women can suffer too Numbness in the foot after childbirthwhich is considered one of the temporary side effects of childbirth, because it is due to the accumulation of fluid in the legs and feet, and it does not last for a long time, but if the problem lasts for several weeks, you should consult the doctor to find out Causes numbness in the feet after childbirthwhich can include the following:
- Increase in estrogen in the body: After giving birth, the body will continue to store water due to the increase in progesterone, so a woman may notice swelling in her limbs, including her legs and feet, for a period of about a week. considered one of Causes numbness in the feet after childbirth.
- Foot drop is a neurological disorder that occurs after natural birth and spinal anesthesia due to direct needle trauma or local anesthesia, which leads to difficulty in lifting the front part of the foot, and is a temporary complication that sometimes fades within a few days. A medullary injector known as a posterior injection from Causes numbness in the foot after caesarean section.
If this numbness persists and other complications arise, you should consult a doctor to find out the causes and the appropriate treatment. (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
Numbness in the foot after childbirth
Treatment depends on Causes numbness in the feet after childbirth Therefore, you should visit your doctor in case of severe discomfort from this numbness, its persistence and the appearance of other symptoms. Some home remedies can also help relieve temporary postpartum side effects, including numbness in the feet. These treatments include the following:
- Eat potassium-rich foods like bananas, potatoes, avocados, and spinach, which help reduce swelling that causes numbness.
- Avoid caffeine, which causes the body to retain water and increase swelling.
- Be sure to raise your legs while sitting.
- Avoid staying in one position for long periods.
- Wear comfortable and loose shoes, and avoid high heels during this period.
- Wearing compression stockings can help reduce pain and numbness.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 8 glasses a day.
- Avoid salty foods because sodium causes the body to retain more fluid.
- Walking to improve blood circulation in the body.
- Do a foot massage in case you suffer from numbness, this massage improves blood circulation in the body including the limbs which reduces the feeling of numbness.
These home preparations are suitable for temporary cases of numbness after childbirth, but if the numbness is persistent and painful, you should consult a doctor because it may indicate a health problem that requires treatment. (2) (3) (4) (5)
Also read: How can numbness be treated with herbs?
The life of a pregnant woman and the accompanying psychological and physiological changes
Preparing parents for the arrival of a new child in the family is an exciting time, but it is also a challenging experience. It is only natural that … read more