What are the causes of vitamin D deficiency in babies?
Vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins for babies, as it promotes healthy bones and teeth, and a lack of it can lead to rickets. In this article we will learn about Vitamin D deficiency causes and treatment in babies.
The importance of vitamin D for babies
Vitamin D is from The most important vitamins for babiesAs it helps to:
- Growth and strengthening of bones and teeth, because it improves the absorption of calcium in the body, and a lack of vitamin D in babies can cause many health problems, since the chance of exposure to fractures and growth problems increases, and a lack of vitamin D in babies can cause many health problems. Vitamin D Rickets, a bone condition that causes developmental disorders and joint disorders.
- The development of the brain and the immune system: the child’s body also needs vitamin D, which helps the development of the brain and the health of the immune system. (One. Two. Three)
Causes of vitamin D deficiency in infants
include Causes of vitamin D deficiency in infants the following:
- Lack of exposure to sunlight: Babies are exposed to sunlight at a much lower rate than adults, especially in the first stage of life before the end of two years, which is one of the most prominent Causes of vitamin D deficiency in infants.
- Malnutrition: Malnutrition can be one of the causes of vitamin D deficiency in children, since the child does not get his need for this vitamin during feeding, after starting to introduce solid food at the end of six months.
- The child’s lack of vitamin D: vitamin D drops for babies are considered one of the most important vitamins that the child must receive daily until he reaches the age of two during feeding.
- Difficulty absorbing vitamin D: the body may have difficulty absorbing vitamin D, which leads to the loss of a large part of it through the urine, even if the child receives his daily dose, so it is also considered one of the medicines Causes of vitamin D deficiency and calcium in children.
- Premature birth of children, and low birth weight even from Causes of vitamin D deficiency in infants. (One. Two. Three)
For more: the benefits and harms of vitamin D injections
Vitamin D dose for babies
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends 400 international units per day for children, and some vitamin D supplements contain 400 international units in one drop, but others contain 400 international units in the entire dropper, so you must know the appropriate dose for the child according to the type of medicine used after consulting a doctor (1) (2)
Also read: The benefits of vitamin D for physical and mental health
Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency in infants
difficult to identify Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency in childrenThe reason for this is that the child is not able to express the trouble he is experiencing, and therefore the discovery of vitamin D deficiency in the child may be delayed, therefore it is recommended to monitor the child and note any changes that occur in him, which may include the following:
- Many diseases or infections.
- poor growth;
- Frequent bone fractures.
If one of these symptoms is observed, the child should be taken to the doctor. (One. Two. Three)
For more information: What are the sources of vitamin D?
Treatment of vitamin D deficiency in infants
He approves Treatment of vitamin D deficiency in infants on several factors, namely:
- The child’s health and any medical condition he has.
- The age stage of the child.
- Vitamin deficiency level in the body.
and therefore different Vitamin D dose for babies Those who suffer from deficient levels according to the previous factors, should therefore consult a doctor to determine the appropriate dosage.
In addition to taking vitamin D supplements for babies, the following must be observed:
- Good nutrition for a child, so that he receives a significant percentage of vitamin D through food, and vitamin D is present in a variety of foods such as fatty fish, red meat, liver, egg yolk and breakfast cereals.
- Exposure of the child to the sun: Be sure to expose the baby to light sunlight for 15 minutes a day, but be careful of harmful sunlight that adversely affects health. (One. Two. Three)
Also read: How to treat vitamin D deficiency