What are the reasons for the numbness of the hands while sleeping? And the ways to handle it?
Many reasons cause numbness in the hands, including reasons related to health, or bad habits, and in this article, we will know what they are Causes numbness of hands while sleepingand methods of prevention and treatment.
health related reasons
Some health problems can be inside Causes numbness of hands while sleepingincluding:
- Ulnar tunnel syndrome of the wrist: ulnar nerve It is one of three nerves that provide sensation to the hand. Ulnar tunnel syndrome occurs due to compression of the ulnar nerve in the wrist, which is one of the causes of numbness in the hands while sleeping, but the patient does not always feel pain. .
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: The carpal tunnel is a narrow passage located in the wrist, and both the median nerve and the tendons of the fingers pass through the carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel syndrome For median nerve compression within the carpal tunnel, and may be within Causes numbness of hands while sleepingSymptoms worsen during the night and over time may continue during the day.
- Diabetic neuropathy: another cause of Causes numbness of hands while sleepingDiabetic neuropathy is a health condition that leads to nerve damage as a result of diabetes. Over time, high blood glucose levels can damage the nerves and the blood vessels that supply them.
- Cervical spondylitis: This is an age-related condition that affects the elderly more and affects the spinal vertebrae in the neck. This increases pressure on the spinal cord, and numbness or tingling in the hands and fingers.
- Radial nerve compression: controls radial nerve In the muscles of the forearm and wrist that help extend the wrist and fingers, prolonged pressure on the wrist and forearm can put pressure on the radial nerve, causing numbness and pain. (1) (2) (3) (4)
Other causes of numbness in hands while sleeping
Some other reasons can lead to numbness of the hands while sleeping, and they are:
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy can cause damage to the peripheral nerves, which affects the limbs and leads to Numbness of hands.
- Some other drugs: Some other drugs can also lead to peripheral neuropathy such as antihistamines ConvulsionsCertain medications to lower blood pressure, and some antibiotics.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: Vitamin B12 helps promote brain and central nervous system functions and DNA synthesis, and is also necessary for the production of red blood cells. Numbness and tingling in the limbsor hands or feet. (1) (2) (4)
Reasons related to sleeping position
Sleeping position can be the highlight Causes numbness in the hand while sleeping IncreaseCertain positions cause numbness in the hands, mainly:
- Sleeping on the stomach: in the case of sleeping on the stomach and placing the hand under the head, this will cause numbness in the hands.
- Sleeping on one side: with the hand or wrist bent in a way that restricts blood flow to the hands.
- Sleeping on the back: can be Causes numbness of hands when sleeping on the back In the case of placing the back of the head on the arm. (1)
More: Is numbness in the hands dangerous?
I have a constant headache with dizziness and nausea sometimes and the headache is in the middle of the head and goes down to the eye while I sleep I feel dizzy
Treatment of numbness in the hands
In case of continuation numbnessYou should consult a doctor to find out Causes numbness of hands while sleeping Because it may be related to health conditions, and the doctor will diagnose the condition after ordering some tests to determine the cause and treatment.
about if Causes numbness of hands while sleeping Regarding the wrong sleeping position, you can follow the following tips to treat the problem:
- Avoid sleeping with your arms, elbows or wrists bent.
- Avoid sleeping on your hands or arms.
It is also recommended to take frequent breaks from activities that require pressure on the hands or arms so that this does not cause a health problem that damages the hand and causes numbness. (1) (2) (3) (4)
Epilepsy between mythology and medicine-3
In the second chapter we talked about simple and complex partial seizures, and persistent status epilepticus, then we mentioned the necessity of … read more