What is the cause of leg swelling in the elderly?
Swelling of the feet is a common health problem that can appear at different stages of life, but the chance of occurrence may increase with age and cause feelings of fatigue, discomfort and difficulty in movement. In this article we will learn about The cause of leg swelling for the elderlyIn addition to prevention and treatment methods.
have health problems
Health problems can be The cause of leg swelling for the elderlywhich includes:
- Arthritis: Many elderly suffer from arthritis in different parts of the body, and it may appear in the feet, and this is because Causes of leg swelling in the elderly.
- Gout infection: more gout One of the common reasons for swelling of the feet in the elderly, as a result of the accumulation of uric acid in the body fluids, and this is a disease that increases the chances of infection with age.
- Low levels of protein in the blood: Proteins, such as albumin, help maintain fluid within the blood vessels, because the protein molecules in the blood exert pressure that helps maintain fluid within the blood vessels, and in the case of low levels of protein in the blood. Blood vessels, even if the membrane of blood vessels when the blood is healthy, the fluid moves from the vein or artery to equalize the osmotic pressure across the membrane, thus causing leg swelling for the elderly.
- Hypothyroidism: can be Hypothyroidism he The cause of leg swelling in the elderlyBecause it leads to fluid retention and swelling known as edema, and this swelling can be noticed in the face, around the eyes, as well as in the hands and feet.
- Fluid overload: If there is more fluid than normal in the blood vessels, they become overloaded, and this extra fluid can be pushed through the blood vessel wall, causing the feet to swell.
- Weak leg veins: Older people often suffer from weak leg veins, and when these veins are weak, this can cause fluid particles to slip through the connections between the blood vessel cells, leading to swelling in the feet, which can occur due to a serious infection or inflammation.
- Kidney disease: The kidneys regulate fluid levels in the body by adjusting the amount of water and salt excreted or retained. If the kidneys fail to perform their functions, this may be the cause of swelling of the feet in the elderly.
- Liver disease: can be cirrhosis he The cause of leg swelling in the elderlyThis is because the liver is where albumin is produced in the body. In cirrhosis, the liver cannot maintain adequate production of albumin and other key proteins, causing swelling and bloating.
- Thrombosis in the foot: Thrombosis can be The cause of leg swelling for the elderlywhich may cause malfunctions in the blood vessels, thus a lack of good blood flow to the lower limbs.
- Chronic venous insufficiency: When venous insufficiency becomes chronic, it can cause varicose veins or edema, due to the presence of excess fluid in the veins, and venous insufficiency can also lead to phlebitis, skin ulcers, and dermatitis.
- Heart failure: Considered Heart failure This is the most common cause of leg edema, and when chronic heart failure is chronic, lasting more than a few weeks, it reduces blood flow to the kidneys, resulting in salt and fluid retention in the body.
- Lymphedema: Although most of the fluids in the body pass through the blood vessels, the body contains a network of lymphatic vessels, which connect to the lymph nodes and transport fluids in the body, and when lymphedema appears, there will be a lot of fluid, the system cannot drain the lymph, or there is not enough capacity in the lymphatic channels, and this is one The causes of leg swelling in the elderly. (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
Take some medicine
Medicines can be Causes swollen feet and leg swellingThis increases fluid and salt retention in the body, leading to edema.
Certain medications can also affect the capillaries, causing them to leak more fluid, causing the feet to swell. Medications that may cause edema include:
- Calcium channel blockers.
- Blood pressure lowering drugs
- beta blockers;
- hormonal drugs;
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
More: What are the causes of swelling in the legs?
What causes the feeling of relief when you wash the sensitive area with hot or warm water, as opposed to cold water, as it gives me an annoying feeling..
Bad habits can be The cause of leg swelling for the elderlywhich includes:
- Inactivity: Many people tend to become lazy and shallow with age, and inactivity usually leads to edema Swelling of the feet.
- Weight gain: As a result of eating unhealthy foods and not exercising, weight can increase, which puts pressure on the feet, leading to swelling. (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- Eating a lot of certain foods: such as meat, or foods rich in high levels of salt and sodium.
Treatment of swollen feet for the elderly
He approves Treatment of swollen feet for the elderly For the reasons, therefore, you should visit a doctor to determine the cause and appropriate treatment, and it can also be avoided causes swelling in the legs Reducing symptoms at home using the following measures:
- Movement and physical activity: The elderly should exercise as regularly as possible in relation to their age, and a doctor can be consulted about the most appropriate exercises for them.
- Weight maintenance: by ensuring a healthy and balanced diet, and avoiding foods that harm the health of the body and cause diseases such as fats, fried food and sugars.
- Foot massage: Massage helps to improve Circulation and improve blood flow to the feet, which reduces the chances of swelling.
- Eat foods rich in potassium and magnesium, and avoid foods that contain high levels of salt and sodium.
- Avoid taking over-the-counter medications: and follow the stated dosages of prescribed medications, which may be the cause of leg swelling in the elderly over time. (5)
Eating breakfast is essential for a healthy body
Breakfast is the first main meal that the body receives after fasting for 6-8 hours during sleep this constitutes … Read more